How to connect to a remote computer
In this manual, we will consider two solutions to the question “How to connect to a remote computer?” Both options allow you to remotely use PC resources on OC Windows via the Internet. In this case, you can control the computer in the same way as in the case of direct work on it.
Next, such definitions will be used as “client” (any PC – desktop, laptop or smartphone) and “server” (remote PC to which we connect). The user will have access to all settings, pre-installed programs, as well as access to files with the ability to view, edit and copy them.
1. MS Remote Desktop
The proprietary utility is a “remote desktop” and allows you to establish a connection to servers on various versions of Windows of the latest generations. You can connect from devices on Windows, Mac OS, Android and iOS, but as an example, consider the classic version with the latest version of Win10. The advantages of this method include the ability to copy files from a remote PC using a shared clipboard. To use the utility, you will need to correctly configure the server.
Important: during the connection through this tool, it is impossible to use the I / O devices of the server itself. Until the end of the session, the display is blocked by default.
Step-by-step manual for MS Remote Desktop server
1) Turn on the utility. In the “Ten” open the “Parameters” section and go to the tabs “System”> “Remote Desktop”. Previous versions of operating systems may offer access to these settings differently.
2) We determine the local and external IP. To do this, you can use the help of an online service, for example, 2IP. If you need to transfer control of the client device to another user, then you need to tell him the external IP address + username and password from your account in OC.
3) We configure the router to “redirect” (mapping or tunneling) the ports. This allows you to open access to the server for other client PCs through the global network. The procedure on different models of routers is different, therefore, to install the correct settings, you will need a user manual on the manufacturer’s website or from the package. The tunneling process is the creation of a virtual server in the appropriate settings tab of the router and prescribing in its properties a local IP with port 3389.
Manual for MS Remote Desktop Client
1) Run the application. We find it by typing the name in the system search. You can also press the key combination “Win + R” and enter the command “mstsc” in the line that appears, confirming by pressing “Enter”.
2) In the new dialog box, enter the public IP address of the PC acting as the server, and also specify the username and password from its Windows account. If all settings are correctly set, we get full access to the desktop and the functionality of the remote PC.
Important: providing access to the server through tunneling opens up potential gaps for network attacks by attackers. Therefore, the above method should be used with great accuracy.
2. MS Remote Assistance
Remote Assistance is another useful utility from Microsoft built into OC. Cross-platform is not supported in this case, therefore only a computer with preinstalled Windows can be a client device. In addition, file sharing with the server is not provided. However, unlike MS Remote Desktop, this method provides the ability to simultaneously work with the server with another user. For convenience, there is a text chat.
Manual for MS Remote Assistance server
1) We find the utility by typing “Remote Assistance” in the system search bar. On a PC with Win10, you can enter the query “MsrA”. Found the application through the context menu, run as administrator.
2) In the dialog box that appears, click on the link of the trusted invitation to assist. If OC displays a message about the absence of settings on the PC, click the “Fix” button and follow the prompts of the system. After changing the settings, you may need to restart the utility.
3) We save the invitation as a file by clicking on the corresponding message from the Assistant. To do this, give the file a name and select the storage folder.
4) After saving the file in the specified directory, a window with a password will be displayed on the screen. We copy it and transfer it with the file to the client by mail or in any convenient way.
5) We receive a connection request from a client device and agree.
Open the file received from the server and specify the password. Next, in a new window, click on the menu item “Management Request”. Now we are waiting for a response from the remote computer and get access to its desktop.