What to do if a computer or laptop refuses to turn on
The answer to the question of what to do if a computer or laptop refuses to turn on depends on the reason that led to this problem. There can be several such reasons. Any computer device consists of a large number of nodes that operate in a close and harmonious relationship. And if one component fails, then the coherence is broken, and this, in turn, leads to the fact that the computer stops working.
As a rule, when a computer or laptop fails to work, it is possible to solve the problem on their own without resorting to the help of a specialist. The main thing is to correctly determine the cause of the failure. Consider all the causes and “symptoms” in more detail.
The computer does not work: lack of response to pressing the “Power” button
If the computer does not work after pressing the “Power” button, this means that it does not receive power. The reasons may be as follows:
1) malfunction of the outlet or extension cord – connect the computer through another extension cord by connecting it to another outlet;
2) the computer’s power cable “popped” out of the socket on the system unit – connect the cable as it should;
3) failure of the “Power” button itself (the power button refuses extremely rarely) – check the operation of the button by shorting its contacts with any metal object;
4) a laptop or computer connected through an uninterruptible power supply – turn on the device bypassing the uninterruptible power supply;
5) the power button, which is located on the power supply, is disabled – turn on the button;
6) power supply failure, but this does not happen instantly.
The failure of the power supply is preceded by periodic hangs and braking of the system, its slowness, sudden shutdowns and ons. If the power supply of your computer is more than 4 years old, we can assume that the problem is in it. The electrolytes that make up the BP dry in 3-5 years, losing their capacity, and therefore can no longer perform the proper functions. You need to replace the power supply.
It should be noted that when the computer or laptop does not turn on, in 95 percent of the cases, the above factors are the causes of the problem.
The computer does not turn on, but the fans are working
Such a malfunction can occur when any wire going to the motherboard was not connected or went out of its connector. This often happens when:
1) going to a new computer;
2) new components are installed in the system unit;
3) the contents of the computer device are being upgraded;
4) the system unit is cleaned of accumulated dust in it.
When the user partially disassembles and then reassembles the PC, he often forgets to connect all the wires to the board. Or accidentally affects the connectors, thereby violating certain contacts.
The computer turns on, but there is no image on the monitor
If the computer seems to turn on, but there is no image on the PC monitor, this means that either the signal is not being sent to the screen, or something happened to the video card. If you changed the video card or removed it for cleaning, remove it again and reinsert it. Check if card power is connected. Make sure that the monitor is connected and properly configured, that the cable is working, not damaged, and connected. It often happens that the wrong connection mode is activated on the screen, for example HDMI. If so, change the mode and set to DVI or VGA.
Coolers work, but the system speaker gives a malfunction
This indicates an incorrect connection or disconnection of some device necessary for the normal operation of the computer. If before the computer stopped turning on, you disassembled the system unit, it is very likely that you accidentally broke the contacts of any device. It is also possible that one of the connected modules failed. You can determine in which particular node the problem arose by the nature of the sounds made by the speaker.
The computer turned on, but the system does not boot
If the PC system does not boot, even though the computer itself has turned on, this may be due to the following reasons:
1) The bootloader does not notice the partition from which it should boot the system. This can happen if one of the two systems installed on the PC is removed or if the boot sector is damaged. You can restore a full boot using a special distribution of Windows. It is very simple to do this: insert a flash drive or disk into the computer, and select the “System Restore” option in the menu.
2) if your previous steps did not lead to success, you will have to reinstall the operating system using the installation disk or USB flash drive for this purpose.
3) if it is impossible to reinstall the OS, then most likely the hard drive failed.
If you removed the HDD or changed it, make sure that the disk is connected correctly and securely. If you did not perform any manipulations with the disk, but the railway suddenly began to “utter” certain “bad” sounds – creaks, tapping, rustling – then the probability of its failure is very high.